Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Talk

Good night last night. Finished up about 100K. Maybe I'm getting my feet back under me.

One incident came up that bugged me though:

With a stack of about 70K, I hit pocket Aces (in the small blind), bet out 4K, got a call from an until-now quiet short stack three positions to my left (~6K, again not really sure), see an nonthreatening flop, push the guy all in, and take down the pot with the guy mucking his losing hand.

Pretty standard felting.

Next hand (on the button) I get the rockets again , bet out 4K, get a single call from the Cocky Bastard (but I mean that in an affectionate way, if he's reading this -- cocky is good if you can back it up) to felted guy's immediate left, and see a Queen-high shotgun flop, but with two diamond on the board. Natch, neither of my aces is a diamond. I bet out 20K into a ~8K pot, which is about half his stack. If he's got a draw I'm going to make him sweat the call.

CB takes his time; I wanted him to think about it, and he is thinking about it.

I type "Unless you have a set, calling is probably a bad idea."

Suddenly, felted guy turns into Tilted Windmill, typing "Call! Call!" and "He's on a flush draw. Call."

Now, I believe I was giving CB honest advice. Maybe I was implying that if I had two pair, but it should have been clear I had an overpair (I think my table image was as being fairly tight, but not in TW's mind, obviously) and I don't think CB would have called my initial 4K with any hand that would have made two pair on that board. Hence, a set or a flush draw.

(Rant: Isn't it rude as all hell to interject yourself into a hand in which you aren't playing? I know it's against the rules in tournament poker, and while cash games are supposed to be more relaxed, butting in is disrespectful of all parties actually playing. Not only that, the guy's advice was dead nuts wrong.)

So anyway, I tell TW that he's being annoying (don't remember the exact words) and politely ask him to cease and desist (maybe not so politely) and he keeps ranting about a flush draw. I say "okay, that's exactly what I have" and CB promptly folds, realizing of course that that isn't what I have. I show the rockets.

"Your reading skills are astounding, TW" I type.

General tilt ensues. Next hand Tilting Windmill goes all-in with his 40K re-buy, CB goes all-in, and I tune out (click on the "fold to any bet" checkbox, "sit out next hand" checkbox, and get up to get a re-fill on my salted-in-the-shell peanuts) while the table goes crazy. When I get back, the guy to CG's left is now sitting on a stack of about 200K and apparently quite a few people have had to re-buy, including TW and CB.

For the rest of the time I was at the table, TW was on an "All in or fold" binge and made it work for him. TW was gunning for me, but I never had a pre-flop hand worth an all-in, and he was avoiding multi-player action. So next time, TW.

(CB calmed down and later left the table with around 100K. When I went to bed TW had about 100K as well, but I doubt he kept it long.)

One other fun hand happened near the end of the evening. Can't remember full details of who started the betting (probably it was me holding AQ, in the small blind again if I recall correctly) but five players were in for 2.4K each pre-flop. Flop comes 77Q. It checks around, and another 7 hits on the turn. (77Q7). Woo hoo! I have a boat. 4K bet. Called all around. River is (again, IIRC) a Ten. Checks around to me, and I check. My hand is displayed, one muck, two mucks, three mucks...

Player to my right turns over his quad Sevens.

"How could you not bet that!"

"Les Deux Oranges" (referring to the Gus Hanson -- but hairier, and schizophrenic -- clone to my immediate left) "taught me the other night about slow-played quads. I've been down that road before."

So again, a minimal loss instead of a catastrophe. (Such are the joys of moral victories.) A couple of hands later I called it a night.

Note: I'm not using any real screen names other than my own in these posts. (Doesn't seem fair to put out scouting reports on players other than myself.) In a future post I'll profile a group of players whom I've stumbled upon and started playing with on a fairly regular basis. Think Evil Den Mother (probably not really evil, but this is a poker blog) and her Degenerate Cub Scouts.

Bankroll status: 2.5M PSD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home