Thursday, September 28, 2006

Quads

Maybe the bad running is over for now. PhantomWife slipped into slumber and I slipped off to the kitchen to play a couple of hours of poker. Finished up 150K PSD on the evening.

Why I think the bad running may be over is that I actually hit a couple of up-and-down straight draws, had a top-pair/top-kicker with a nut flush draw actually turn into the flush, etc. In other words, things broke my way on multiple occasions.

But of course, I lost twice with boats to quads.

Anyone who has read my posts to this point will start to realize I've been a fracking quad magnet.

Once happened at an early table and did end up felting me. (Flopped the boat with low connectors, bet it hard, got raised, went all-in, c'est la vie.) Second happened at a table with the Evil Denmother and her Degenerate Cub Scouts. That one I got away from with a minimal loss (about 10% of my stack, as I recall) because the board was 88Q and I was holding AQ. I bet ~4K or thereabouts, got (I think) two callers. Turn is an 8. Checks all around. River is a Ten, IIRC. I bet another eight thou, one guy folds, other guy raises to sixteen thou, I call fully expecting to see the fourth 8 flip over. And it does.

The weird thing is, I've gotten totally zen with the quad sightings. One of those "snakes on a plan, whatchoo gonna do" kind of things.

When I typed "I don't know how many times I've lost to quads" Evil Denmother types back something like "I've lost count".

Evil Denmother is cool. (I think she's seen it happen to me four times, but it may be more by now.)

I call her Evil Denmother here because she's:
  1. Very pleasant to chat with,
  2. Extremely comfortable taking your chips, and
  3. Almost always accompanied by members of a group I think of as the Degenerate Cub Scouts.
The DCS generally know how to play, have pretty deep PSD stacks, and aren't uncivilized louts.

Funny how virtual communities can coalesce around someone like Evil Denmother.

So, at that table I was up to a stack of 300K PSD at one point, before having a couple of legit hands turn sour as well as losing concentration and flat-out donking off about 50K. However, one of the last hands I played had my AT turn into Aces full of Tens.

And my opponent mucked! No quads!

So knocking on wood, with luck my luck (for a while at least) will stay right in the middle of the bell curve.

Bankroll status: 2.65M PSD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home