Thursday, October 19, 2006

Burn

It gets worse:

US Congress steps into cyberspace

The Joint Economic Committee (JEC) of the US Congress has announced it is investigating the amount of commerce taking place in virtual game worlds.
...snip...
Although an economic value can be put on this trade because in-game currencies do have an equivalent real world value, committee chairman Jim Saxton said its investigation was not being carried out with a view to slapping taxes on this trade.

"There is a concern that the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) might step forward with regulations that start taxing transactions that occur within virtual economies," said Mr Saxton. "This, I believe, would be a mistake."

Instead, he said, the investigation wanted to get a better understanding of where the line falls between taxable and non-taxable trade. Studies of game activity suggest the time and effort put into these online worlds has an economic impact equivalent to the GDP of Namibia.
First they came for poker players, but I was not a poker player...

For those who care (and oddly, Actiongomez apparently does)-- Bankroll status: 3.64M PSD, 50.60 USD (Story of the cash deposit later....)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

phantommut: into every life a few draws must fall
caspbear: that is true
phantommut: that's why they're called pot ODDS
EX. pot with over 30k in it, pair of kings bets 6k. An openended straight draw can easily call this bet. With 8 potential outs, and a pot giving 36/6 or 6 to 1 return call is correct. Having 2 potential callers behind you and a player who wil not fold his kings if you hit on the river can let you play a 4.25-1 draw.This is why larger bets to protect hands which maybe seen as agression for less seasoned players,are called for. Thus diminishing the pot odds to call. But go figure. If you didn't know already... who is the bad player?

5:07 PM  
Blogger PhantomMut said...

FWIW, this less-seasoned player saw it as an attempt to buy the pot (which, in effect, it was). If I recall correctly, your bet was an all-in. Half-pot would have looked like someone who already had at least a set. But then, I'm really not sure I remember the action.

But hey, I'm a fishy newbie. I guess I don't really understand this "what do I bet to make him think I have a specific hand" kind of thing.

(And I apoligize if I called you a bad player, either explicitly or as an accidental inference. I try to reserve the trash talk for people who enter Matasow mode spontaneousely, such as actiongomez. I try to keep in mind that I want people to enjoy playing with me, especially if I'm accumulating chips.)

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home